There are many metrics available to measure the performance of your push messaging campaigns. These include:
- Click rate: percentage of users who opened a push notification
- Conversion rate: percentage of users who did a conversion event after clicking on your message
- Engagement: Average number of sessions per user after viewing a push notification
- Conversion frequency: Average number of conversion events completed per user after viewing a push notification
- Revenue: Average new revenue per user after viewing a push notification
To understand whether a campaign is successful, it is important to understand what the goal of the campaign is. Are you sending the campaign to increase engagement with the app in general, or is there a specific conversion behavior you are trying to encourage? Once you have established a clear goal, you can measure success in terms of your campaign's impact on that goal.
The best way to measure the direct impact of your campaign is to include a control group when you are setting up a campaign. A control group is a small group of your campaign's audience who do not receive a message from the campaign. Measure lift over the control group for each performance metric to understand exactly how much your messages move the needle.
Here are some examples of campaign goals and the best metrics to measure:
- If you want to increase visits to your app, measure lift in engagement.
- If you want to drive more purchases, measure lift in conversion frequency for your purchase event.
- If you want to drive more subscriptions, measure lift in conversions for your subscription event.
- If you want to increase revenue, measure lift in revenue.
Learn more about campaign metrics and the best way to measure success using Localytics True Impact on our blog.